“The customer is king!”
How many times have you heard that statement before and actually believed it?
My guess… not that often. In today’s blog, Rob Clegg talks about a holistic approach to customer experience and it all starts with the customer journey.
What is a customer journey?
A customer journey is the complete experience a customer has with an organization. It encompasses all customer interactions across all channels, devices and touchpoints throughout every stage of the customer lifecycle – from awareness to loyalty.
Rob Clegg shares the difference between the customer journey and customer experience:
• The customer journey is what they do at each stage of the customer lifecycle
• The customer experience is how they feel about the entire customer lifecycle
So, how do you make sure that the customer’s experience with your company is a positive experience?
“You start by mapping the customer journey,” according to Rob Clegg.
Mapping the customer journey is the number one strategy. Mapping out customer journey can be split into 3 distinct stages:
- Drawing out the customer journey lifecycle
- Identifying company and customer touchpoints
- Analyzing gaps between existing strategies and expectations
“This means that you put yourself in their shoes and think like a customer,” Rob Clegg added.
Here’s some sample questions Rob Clegg used during a customer journey process:
• What happened inside your company that caused you to search for a new product?
• What is your research process for finding a new product?
• How did you find [your company name]?
• How important is a free trial during your buying process?
• Specifically, what made you choose [your company] versus [a competitor]?
Imagine being able to predict the next step of your target customer…that’s the “super” power of the customer journey. In fact, this is the exact reason why businesses list the customer journey as a top investment priority. The business benefits of optimizing the customer journey are clear. Can you afford to say no that kind of business strategy?
Rob Clegg has a sincere interest in customers, and the challenges they meet in their everyday work life. Rob Clegg strongly believes that customer relationships matter and if they are cared for, developed and respected, these great relationships will lead to business success and growth. Learn more about other things Rob care about on the Rob Clegg website. Find out more tips how to accelerate the quality of daily customer conversations on the Rob Clegg page here. Alternatively, you can read the latest Rob Clegg here.